subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"It's elementary, my dear Scherbatson"



I really hate writing this post. But it simply has to be done.

How I Met Your Mother isn't going so well. I mean, there are still occasionally some great lines, but the stories this season just haven't been nearly as interesting as say, Community (big Community post is coming!), and there's been way too much focus on Ted and his stupid new love-interest, who I hate. There have been some definite bright points in the episodes from Season 6, but "Canning Randy" may be one of the worst HIMYM episodes ever.

To begin with, I don't think Will Forte is funny, and even the awesomeness of Bob Odenkirk can't balance him out (the best scenes in this ep are with Marshall and Arthur). To begin again with, that Walk Of Shame joke at the beginning was really lame (also, why can't we call it the Walk Of I Got Some, Booyah? There's nothing shameful about getting laid.) - it would've been slightly better if they'd had a guy thrown in the mix. HIMYM has always been ha-ha sexist, but they're moving quickly towards for-reals sexist. Who cares about some random dude Robin did or didn't sleep with? I might have forgiven the boring Robin plotline if the payoff had been anything good. And god, that car alarm joke is SO OLD it was simply painful to watch over and over again. Ditto the horse's head. And seriously, "Where's the poop?" is the worst catchphrase ever. Continuing on in the bad jokes, Wharmpuss doesn't sound enough like "warm piss" to make the joke land until you actually see the label. All in all, it was some of the weakest and most unoriginal comedy I've seen in a while.




Finally, and most importantly, putting a laugh track after her lines does not make Jennifer Morrison funny. EVER. Casting her was a terrible decision and I'm really not looking forward to sitting through her overblown and inauthentic delivery to get my weekly dose of The Barnacle. I really, really, don't like her - she's heading quickly towards Emily Valentine territory. And if, like me, you're more and more convinced she's the mother, well, we can all get together and weep, and just have faith that NPH will save the day.

HIMYM really is one of my favorite shows, but I'm afraid it might have peaked with the 3rd and 4th seasons and is now on a gradual yet steady decline. We'll just have to watch and hope and wait.

2 comments:

  1. "Finally, and most importantly, putting a laugh track after her lines does not make HIMYM funny. EVER."
    Fixed it for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it would be a much better show without the laugh track - not only are laugh tracks awful, but HIMYM especially over-uses it. Sometimes I think about what a different (and more awesome) show it would be if it were on a different network.

    ReplyDelete