subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Stuff We've Got To Talk About

Ok, I've got 45 minutes before I have to get in the shower and head off to meet a friend, so let's get to it!  So much going on...so here it is, in absolutely no particular order.

Oh, the Chevy Chase/Dan Harmon thing makes me SO SAD.  Without knowing any more than what anybody else on the internet knows, my take on it is that these dudes are both just too cranky and too narcissistic to ever get along.  However, in the over-all scheme of things I've got to side with Harmon.  Chevy has been vocal about his disdain for sitcoms since the beginning, and doesn't seem to be able to understand how transcendent Community really is.  Here is a guy who has been, since the real beginnings of his career on SNL, a superstar, and has the ego to match.  I'm betting his agent or manager or someone convinced him to do Community in order to get his face out there to a younger audience and that Chevy didn't bet on the show becoming the phenomenon it has.  Additionally, I think the Pierce character hits a little too close to home for him sometimes.  I don't mean the daddy issue stuff (although, who really knows), but the old man/out of touch/hopelessly un-hip stuff ("Encarta it" ahahahahaha).  I bet before this show Chevy still thought of himself as being a classic bad-ass, but the writing has forced him to look his own old-man-ness in the face.  Anyway, that's just my take on it, who effing knows.  I think it was bad form for Chevy to walk off the set, and it was bad form for Harmon to chant, "Fuck you, Chevy" at the wrap party (although I do think that's pretty funny), but it was really bad form for Chevy to leave such a horrible message for the guy that is his BOSS.  And sorry, but calling D. Harms a bad writer doesn't hold water because everyone in the world knows that the opposite is true and that he's actually The Best writer (and I'm sure that Dan could care less about Chevy telling him to suck his cock).  Threatening to leave the show over this is a selfish, petty, childish, TOTAL DICK MOVE.  Honestly, I wouldn't care THAT much if he left - the incredible cast could pick up his slack - but the threat to do so just pisses me off.  Chevy needs to get over himself, stop thinking he's above doing television, and maybe if he were a little more respectful than stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Hmph.




On to happier things.  South Park is back!  And (unsurprisingly) it is SO GOOD!  Last night's Jewpacabra was incredible.  I love those guys so hard and continue to be impressed by the fact that they have been doing this brand of satirical comedy for so long and it continues to be fresh and totally unlike anything else on television.  Do I really have to tell you to watch South Park?  C'mon.  Don't be dumb.


Have you seen the trailer for Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom yet?



And now that you have, can we talk about how AMAZING it looks?  Admittedly, I love The West Wing/Studio 60/Sports Night and I kind of hated The Social Network, so I'm pretty excited that Sorkin is back on television, assembling a fantastic ensemble cast, but this time given the freedom and budget of HBO.  Shit is gon' get zoppity real fast.  Can't wait!


I've been watching Awake and yesterday got caught up with Kiefer Sutherland's Touch.  Both good!  Both very similar!  Comparison post coming soon.


Alcatraz had its finale last week and it was really quite excellent.  I posted about it after the premiere, and wasn't quite sure where it was going, but I have to say that it got better and better each week, doing a great job of drawing me into the mystery and the characters.  Unfortunately, the one character I'm still not completely sold on is Rebecca, the heroine - there just doesn't seem to be much personality to her and it made it hard to get invested in the parts of the storyline that relate to her (boring) life.  The finale culminates in a TOTALLY AWESOME high-speed car chase through the hills of actual San Francisco, and the show's worth checking out just to get to that point.  They say that next season (if there is one) they're going to try to shoot more in SF, which I'm super stoked about as it increases my chances of achieving Life Goal #23, a hug from Jorge Garcia.


I haven't talked about The Office because honestly I haven't wanted to...it makes me sad.  I was watching early seasons last month and they are just so lovely and wonderful and now...it's all James Spader this and horrible British woman that.  And the Dwight spinoff might actually be a REAL THING??? Ugh.  No.  Please.  We all asked you to stop last year, and you didn't listen and instead created this depressingly mediocre season and now you're going to keep going?  I mean, give Rainn Wilson a project, yes, you should definitely do that.  But let him play someone else besides Dwight!  I am also unclear as to whether or not Mike Schur will be back as Mose (& why would he?  He is the boss over at Parks & Rec now) which would be the only way I would watch that.


To conclude:  Frozen Planet is awesome and spectacularly beautiful and does not include any egomaniacs yelling at each other; you guys should all go watch some Frozen Planet now.

No comments:

Post a Comment