subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Welcome To The Time Suck

Hello, brand-new internet world! I decided to start this blog when, after years of co-running two awesome glands with my friend Kate, I realized that I needed to branch out on my own, and create a blog that's a little more focused. This is that blog.

We're going to be talking mostly television, but I can't promise that some other weird shit won't creep in, 'cause that's just how I roll. Odds are it'll be related to television somehow, and the reasons for that will become clear quite soon.

So I was racking my brain, trying to think of something to put for the first post, something to draw you in. And then, just like the time I turned around and that kid Quin accidentally threw a kickball at my face, it hit me.

I am all the time trying to get my friends, family, coworkers, and various strangers to watch the shows I think are good. If no one watches a show, it gets cancelled, so in essence it's a pretty selfish act. However, even the friends to whom I've introduced their favorite show often seem reticent when i've got a new suggestion. It's possible that this entire blog is simply to convince Michaela and Isaac et. al. that my taste is impeccable (and to back it up with some valid criticism that can be super-hard when I'm high and someone blindsides me with, "What's so great about Mad Men?" and apparently "Everything!" isn't a sufficient answer.), but I'm hoping it's going to get a little bigger than that.

The credibility that comes with being a critic of any kind is established not only with good, well-supported writing, but also with knowing what the fuck you're talking about. I will now proceed to prove that I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Below is a list of every TV series of which I've watched the entirety, meaning: every episode. Believe me, there are plenty more shows of which I've only seen part. Some of the series below (many of the Law & Orders) I fell asleep to like a nice, justice-y lullaby, but I honestly don't think that discounts having seen 20 seasons of a show. Man, do I know my procedural crime dramas. Anyhow, this is going to get pretty depressing for me in a minute as I figure out just how much time I've spent in a serious relationship with my laptop, but know this: I'm doing it for you. There is a lot of crap out there, and it's my job to keep you from wasting your time watching it. So now that i'm revealing my deep, dark, ugly obsession to you...from here on out, you're going to have to trust me.

(Series with at least 60% viewed multiple times will be marked with an *; series still making new episodes get a +)

30 Rock+
Ally McBeal
Archer+
Arrested Development* (at least 6x)
The Big Bang Theory+
The Big C
Boardwalk Empire+
Bob's Burgers+
Bored To Death+
Britain's Next Top Model+
CSI:OG*+
Castle+
Cold Case+
Community+
Damages+
Dawson's Creek* (at least 5x)
Dead Like Me
Detroit 1-8-7
Dollhouse
Downton Abbey+
Entourage+
Episodes+
ER
Extras
Firefly*
Flight of the Conchords*
Freaks & Geeks*
Friends*
Fringe+
Glee*+
Gossip Girl+
Head Case
Heroes
House*+
How I Met Your Mother*+
Huge+
In Treatment
The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret
Kingdom
Law & Order
Law & Order: SVU*+
Law & Order: CI*+
Lie To Me
Lost*
Louie+
Mad Men*+
Modern Family+
Mr. Sunshine
News Radio
Northern Exposure
Numb3rs
The Office*+
Parenthood+
Parks & Recreation+
Party Down*
Persons Unknown+
Project Runway+
Project Runway Canada+
Psych*+
Pushing Daisies
Queer As Folk
Raising Hope+
The Riches
Rock of Love
Royal Pains+
RuPaul's Drag Race+
Scrubs (although i stopped watching before they switched to ABC, i still think it counts. that shit got awful.)
Sex & The City
Sherlock
Six Feet Under
Skins
The Sopranos (technically - I skipped the last few episodes because I stopped caring.)
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip*
Ugly Betty
Undeclared
The Unusuals*
Veronica Mars*
Weeds*+
The West Wing


Are you now prepared to bow down before me in deference to my vast wealth of knowledge? No? Well, at least you can listen, and be glad that you're not me because honestly...even I know that list is a little sick. However, the truth is that I really, really, really love television as an art form, and I like writing about it almost as much. So - come take this blogging adventure with me and celebrate your own guilty television loves. Because you wanna be where you can see our troubles are all the same...and I'll tell you the best shows to get the best fix.

In the words of the eloquent Tobias Funke: let the great experiment begin!

3 comments:

  1. I noticed that It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia isn't on your list. I'm hoping that this omission is in error and not because you haven't seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's not that i haven't seen it, it's that i haven't seen the whole thing. it's one of those shows that i've been meaning to get into...now might be the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. Bones. Sexy Sciencey Nerds Living & Working in DC. Six Seasons of Emily Deschanel, David Boreanaz, good writing and mediocre, but very entertaining acting. HIGHLY SUGGEST. Also, I'm really feeling your background right now...

    ReplyDelete