subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Saturday, December 4, 2010

"What're you lookin' at, Jessup?"


Psych does a Twin Peaks episode!


In the most recent episode of Psych, "Dual Spires", they do a playful and quirky take on the David Lynch show Twin Peaks. Gus and Shawn travel to a town so small it's labelled on the map in parentheses for a cinnamon festival they received an anonymous tip about. Once there, things seem weird ("Are you Frederick Douglass?" a little girl asks Gus), and get weirder once the body of a local teenage girl is found drowned and wrapped in plastic on the edge of the lake...the story goes from there.


Adding to the awesomeness of this homage is the cast - most of the people from the town are played by actors from Twin Peaks (and IMDB just made me realize that Sherilyn Fenn and Dana Ashbrook both played Pacey antagonizers on the same season of Dawson's Creek - crazy!). I wonder if they even shot some of it where Twin Peaks was shot since both shows are/were filmed in Vancouver and that lake vista looks eerily familiar. The show does a great job of capturing what can only be called the Lynchiness of the original series without losing the humorous edge that Psych balances so well. I'll admit that I'm not as familiar with Twin Peaks as I'd like, but I've seen enough to know that this take-off was done skillfully - going so far as to change the theme song to a high-pitched plinky piano cover of what is usually a boisterous interlude. Oh, and stick around for the last scene and the credits - true Lynch fans will definitely appreciate how completely Psych commits to their concept.

Just a few fun notes & quotes:

"You know I'm a sympathetic crier, Shawn. Just leave me be." And then he makes this face...!

"I'll get Deputy Frost to take you back in the rickshaw."
"The earth is soft and moist."

"My partner plus too much monkey bread equals tummy shame"





Sherilyn Fenn has always been an Emily Valentine buzzkill for me, except in Twin Peaks. She did an excellent job here, I must admit.
"Isn't cherry the best?"
"The best what?"
"Everything, silly!"

Tandem bikes make anything funny.

"Every teenager has a secret spot, Gus. Remember when I found those weird photos of John Cusack in your nightstand?"
"That was Joan."
"Really? Oh, that's much less weird. Wait - no, it's not, not really."

"I know this because waiting for corpses to resurface is a passion of mine."

Oh, Lassie.

Watch it now!



Images via Image Shack, Daemon's TV, Tvocrats

2 comments:

  1. What does Lassie's comment of "What're you looking at Jessup?" in this episode refer to?? Is that Twin Peaks related?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure. It's been a long time since I watched the episode, but I think it's just Lassie making fun of the small town folks. I should go back and rewatch this one, it's insanely good.

    ReplyDelete