subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Sunday, May 22, 2011

"See You Next Fall"

I'm so sorry it's been a whole week since my last post. But this is my third job, and the only one I don't get paid for, and it just so happens that my other two jobs are also culminating in these last two weeks of May, meaning that I barely had time to watch all the season finales this week, much less write about them. So - here's another big-ass Sunday morning post, just for you.

How I Met Your Mother

Not a bad episode, overall. Kind of a nothing plot leading up to the so-called cliffhanger, but that's 6th season HIMYM for you. Even Chi McBride and Dave Foley, two of my favorites, couldn't really do anything to help the episode beyond just being in it because the writing wasn't there. I did really like Barney and Robin coming together to keep Ted from getting back together with FJM, but the above picture may be the best thing to come out of the whole episode. I thought the pregnancy reveal was illogical and un-clever - just because you're a television character doesn't mean you would continually return to a restaurant that makes you sick (and Marshall & Ted's favorite pizza joint doesn't count - they were in COLLEGE). If that were true it would make humans dumber than the animals that don't eat monarch butterflies because they look like other, poisonous butterflies. So.

Robin and Barney are going to get together eventually, like I predicted. The problem with this is that it was already a cliffhanger two seasons ago - but then the writers freaked out and had NO IDEA how to handle their relationship and concocted the dumbest breakup story ever. I'm pretty sure that episode was the shark-jumper for me. Oh, sure, there have been great moments since then, but the overall quality of the show has been in decline ever since. The truth is that I can't really get completely behind any CBS show these days - and the new fall lineup doesn't show any improvement (except that new show with Ben Linus! That I will watch). It's just such milquetoast, hypocritical programming - they're afraid to do anything edgy in their comedies, but have gotten progressively more disgusting and disturbing with their crime procedurals. I love Bill Irwin and all (my mom went to clown school with him) but his SEASONS-LONG storyline on CSI has sucked almost all of the fun out of it - though most of the blame should be laid at Laurence Fishbourne's feet. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I miss Numb3rs, and I miss the days when HIMYM felt like it was getting away with something. Now it just feels like a show that comes on before Two And A Half Men reruns that doesn't give NPH nearly enough to do.


Castle

Speaking of fun crime procedurals, what happened here? What a weird way to end the season in a way that was not fun at all and involved barely any Nathan Fillion. I know they'll bring the silly back next year because they're a silly crime show and that's what they do, but I just thought it was worth mentioning the completely bizzare tonal shift that took place in the finale. Writers: people who watch Castle don't need heavy-handed, emotionally-manipulative conspiracies. We just want Castle and Beckett to make out. It's all we've ever wanted.

Gossip Girl

Oh, this show is the worst. I don't even remember what happened. Why am I still watching this? I don't read the recaps anymore now that Gawker is Terribleland...I guess it's probably for the fashion. Seriously, I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what's up with Blair, the only character I care about. She's summering in Morrocco, I guess? Thrilling. Oh, and Vanhorriblenessa is selling Dan's unfinished satire of the upper east side. Double thrilling! Except not at all. I'm pretty sure my time next year would be better spent watching Person Of Interest (that show with Michael Emerson).

Raising Hope

Now, this show has really come along. It still bums me out that Running Wilde got cancelled, but the truth is that Raising Hope has a much better premise. However, I still can't forgive Greg Garcia for being Greg Garcia. There are some things that he thinks are funny (babies talking with CGI mouths) that are really just THE OPPOSITE of funny and make me cringe inside. Interestingly enough, I feel like anything that doesn't involve the baby makes the best storylines - but maybe it's just because that particular baby creeps the bejesus out of me (seriously: you have a show about a baby. Get an attractive, non-terrifying baby.). Thankfully, that's one of the things that made the finale so great, as we got to see what everyone was like five years ago, before Hope even existed. Hope's mom (and a doomed Danny Masterson) even made an appearance! It also meant that Martha Plimpton, Garrett Dillahunt, and Cloris Leachman did most of the heavy lifting (like always) and that Lucas Neff got to get out of his humdrum Jimmy self and do some great physical comedy. One of the best episodes all season - here's hoping next year we can be done with the all the Earl guest stars and focus on the stars they've already got.

America's Next Top Model

Yay for Brittani! I wanted her to win it since Kasia left. It was a standard ANTM finale, not much to say there, except this: FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TOP MODEL HISTORY, they gave the girls a haircut between the runway and final judging panel. Now, I think both of the haircuts look ok and are good decisions for the modeling world. However, they transformed Brittani into Freddie Highmore, and Molly into ME, from 6th grade.


I seriously wish that I had a copy of my 6th grade yearbook photo because we look IDENTICAL (and I'm wearing a Peruvian sweatshirt), but you'll have to settle for this picture that was taken a few months before, shortly after I made the super-smart decision to get a bowl cut. No, that's not a boy, that's me on the right. Anyway, if it wasn't clear to everyone that high fashion = looking like children, here's your empirical proof.

Modern Family

This was a great episode to cap off a great season of Modern Family. You know, everyone talks about how great the first season was, but it was a few wonderful episodes surrounded by some pretty lackluster ones. The second season, by comparison, has been the opposite of that. I loved that "See You Next Fall" went deeper into the relationship between Haley and Alex. I loved Phil's freakout provocations, and the talking heads that went along with them. I loved that Luke can move things with his mind, especially if they are floating in a pool. Ed O'Neil and Sophia Vergara were great. There was limited Manny. The only thing I didn't particularly care for was the Cam/Mitchell storyline, which seemed to only exist as a pun for the title. I mean sure, relationships, blah blah blah, but what I really want to know is CAN THAT BABY TALK? Speaking of creepy babies, shouldn't Lily be saying SOMETHING by now? Anyway, I thought it was a very strong end to a very strong season, and I think next year will be even better. More Luke, please!

The Big Bang Theory


This is another show that I don't really have any clue why I watch it. Mostly it's to kill time as I wait for episodes of NBC comedies to become available online. But I have to say, the season finale surprised me, opening up some fun, albeit totally sitcomy, possibilities for next year. I like the idea of Raj as Sheldon's roommate - I like the idea of Raj and Penny together even better (especially because Raj is so much hotter than Leonard. Seriously, if you had to choose between those two dudes, I'm going for the one with a full head of hair and a sexy accent). Regardless, it will definitely make for some entertaining conflict next year (because this sitcom will go on eternally until Jim Parsons has a stroke or something) - I can't wait to hear what Amy Farrah Fowler has to say on the matter. Oh, but of course the Howard/Bernadette storyline was AWFUL and sexist and they really need to kill off Howard's mom, like, two seasons ago. There's just no winning with CBS, guys. Joke!

The Office and Parks & Recreation will be getting their own recaps very very soon, I just need to rewatch Lil' Sebastian. Next week we've got House (speaking of shows that have gotten so bad as to be almost unwatchable - I'm already preparing to replace it next year with Alcatraz), Glee (which has managed to be both disgustingly manipulative and not that bad for the past few episodes), Bob's Burgers, and...WTF? There is also apparently ANOTHER episode of Modern Family left to go! Awesomesauce. In the meantime, if you're feeling bereft, go check out my post from last week about all the shows new and old you should watch this summer.


4 comments:

  1. The Freddie Highmore pic won't load.

    Also, I'm sad about HIMYM. Super sad. Sigh...

    Lil' Sebastian! Ominous ending. I just want Leslie and Ben to be together and happy forever but obviously THAT's not going to happen. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It loads just fine for me, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

    That's because HIMYM is sad now. Go back and watch some Swarley, it'll cheer you up.

    Everyone wants Leslie and Ben to be together and happy forever! Sadly, one needs conflict for good television.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, fine, I changed it. It doesn't look as much like her, but you get the point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Castle - uber manipulative and not fair. Tried and failed to make me cry because I was just confused as to where the depth was supposed to have come from. Esposito and Ryan don't almost cry/fight each other in any seriousness....

    ReplyDelete