subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Let me cut to the sexy chase"


Fuck yeah, Glee! I loved tonight's return to form. Oh, I know it won't last, and I'll be back to bitching about it in a week or two, but "A Night Of Neglect" (terrible title for anything) really was awesome.

Let's start with Mercedes FINALLY getting her due. It took goddamn long enough! But it was great how Zizes inspired her to demand the respect she deserved. More of Team Big Girls, please! But I thought that Rachel schooling Mercedes on Aretha was hella condescending and weird. However, WHO THE FUCK CARES because that rendition of "Ain't No Way" was fanfuckingtastic, one of the best songs the show has ever done, and really just straight up awesome. Although Glee can be infuriating and shitty, they do tend to listen to their audience for very short periods of time, and I know that it wasn't just me complaining about the lack of Mercedes this season. Hopefully she won't be allowed to fade away into the background again. The title of the episode (and benefit) was an interesting but obvious tie in to Mercedes herself being the neglected artist, and I think after that, the characters but also the show as a whole are going to have to give her the respect and recognition she deserves.

Seriously - that song. KILLED it.


Um, I guess the other storyline here had to do with Will and Holly and Emma? Except I don't really care except GROSS they had sex in the janitor's closet? When? Were there kids around? GROSSSSSSSS. This isn't Scrubs, you can't just hook up in the supply closet whenever you're feeling pale and doughy, there are CHILDREN at schools. And sometimes they look in closets! Anyway, the rest I don't care about. Gwyneth sang an AWFUL song about turning tables or some other metaphoric bullshit and Emma is back to being OCD, except with OCD you don't just stop scrubbing the counter with a toothbrush because Gargoyleface McGee shows up, you have to keep scrubbing until it is CLEAN, like REALLY clean. I mean, maybe her brain told her it was clean RIGHT THEN, but I doubt it. Shoddy writing, folks. Anywhatzit, Holly is gone, halleloo, but with a menacing promise to VISIT. Ugh. Please don't. And stay out of my closets, bitch-hair.

Oh yes, and then there was Sue, who assembled the League (or was it Legion) Of Doom, with Cheyenne Jackson (yes), Stephen Toblowsky (more yes), and THE WORST, Terri Schuester. The only good part about Terri is that her code name is Honey Badger. Everything else is THE WORST. Anyway, although no one succeed at their task, it was fun to watch Jackson and Toblowsky camp it up this week. Next week: The Honey Badger attacks! And we'll see how that goes.

Motherfucking Glee, why must you have SO MANY G-D PLOTLINES? There was also something about Rachel giving sad looks at Finn & Quin. Yawn. Find me next week when there is time to care. Kurt and Blaine were there, being nothing. Santana yelled at Fat Gay Bully, which was cool, but I'm still not convinced she's not a one-dimensional man-hater now that she's an admitted gaymo. But OH YES, I almost forgot the Brainiacs story, which featured the second best scene of the night, with Heather Morris gorging on Dots (yum) and finally putting all that cat disease information to use. More of her being funny all the time, please! And WTF was up with Sunshine showing up to sing an incredibly over-done ballad and then disappearing for no reason whatsoever? She's all, I want to help smart kids! And then her and her Twitter gang don't show up, which is nonsense, if we're buying into the nonsense that this episode has already laid out. Oh, right, Cheyenne Jackson pulled her out. I don't care! Moving on!

ALSO I loved Mike Chang's dance (and outburst at the beginning - "I'm so trying to remember his name right now"), although now that stupid Jack Johnson song is gonna be stuck in my head for days. And Tina rocked it out, I wanted to hear more. So, overall, good job, Glee. I mean, it's telling of the low expectations I have that an uneven and long-overdue episode like this one is the best one in months, but I really am a sucker for Aretha. Now keep with it! I'll be so disappointed if you go back to sucking right away.

"Preach."

Notes & Quotes

"Our final category: White Rappers"

"You're hunky and I'm what they call 'predatory gay'"

"Wow, it would be hard to be married to you."

"Worst henchmen ever."

Ok, I take it back, Will Schuester is THE WORST. Him and Terri deserve each other. "What do you think about my taffy sale plan?" THE WORST. "What do you think about my lame, needy pizza?" I think you know the answer.

"You set me up! You told me I was supposed to come here to get homework help!"

What is up with Wallis Simpson being everywhere these days? The King's Speech, Upstairs Downstairs...she's all over the place. It's weird.

Cheyenne Jackson lightning round!
"This hairline is 85% my own"
"I'm handsome, I'm good-looking, and I'm easy on the eyes - also I'm gorgeous."
"Let me tell you something about Will Schuester: that guy has tiny baby hands."

"Carried the hell in"

"You wouldn't, because I post under 'NCISux' or 'NCIStupid'"

"You just got poked...poked by The Dagger." Sue's reaction to this was awesome.

Lauren Zizes' pink/green outfit tonight is just one more reason to love her.

Speaking of outfits, Mercedes looked GREAT in that sparkley number. I loved the hairpiece, but the hair style itself wasn't my favorite. But, you know, Aretha homage, I get it. I really can't complain about anything to do with that performance.

"It's drug money, but you know it's actually a fantastic way to launder it."

Images via Wet Paint, FanPop, EW.com

No comments:

Post a Comment