subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Monday, October 25, 2010

dun dun dun dun dun DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN


So, you know, it was a slow week this week. After the grandiosity of the Mad Men finale, everything else just sort of seemed to pale in comparison. How I Met Your Mother was good, but not groundbreaking. Running Wilde is getting better and better. Community's "Messianic Myths" episode was so awesome I watched it twice, but I don't really have much to say other than I have never seen a show handle religion as well as Community does.

But straight up the best show this week was South Park, with their brilliant episode "Insheeption". If you've seen Inception, you've got to watch it, so go NOW! I won't ruin anything for you. And if you have seen it then the title of this post might make sense.


Honestly, this week I've been thinking a lot more about criticizing the critics. After my friend got me into NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour, I became really stoked on it. But listening to a bunch of episodes all at once is a good way to reveal the cracks in something, and I think PCHH has them in spades. Maybe it's just that Linda Holmes has come to rub me the wrong way, what with her disdain for Tolkien and whatnot. But what really cemented my struggle with the show was the way they all reacted when their producer, Mike Katziff, came on for a week.

Now, I don't know how old the PCHH regulars are, but from their cultural references I've surmised they're all around their mid-thirties to early forties. Katziff seems to be around my age, in his mid-twenties. Now, when they were engaging in a discussion and Mike tried to interject an opinion, it was pretty roundly rejected with a chorus of, "Oh, you're so young!", but I really wanted to hear what he was saying!

I believe there is an audience out there that wants to hear about pop culture from my generation's perspective, which often focuses more on the 80s, 90s and early 00s. I respect that the PCHH crew have worked hard to get to where they are, but I honestly believe most days that I could do it better. It pisses me off when I hear a movie or TV critic say, "Oh, I don't really watch movies/TV." There's a superiority issue that arises with critics who deal with what are considered "low" art forms; IMO if you're going to be successful, you can't be too cool for school or "above" anything. You've got to open yourself up and admit that you love some crappy shows (ANTM, Gossip Girl, CSI, Say Yes To The Dress, to name a few of my own) but that you realize what separates them from the good ones. And as I find myself wishing that PCHH had more cultural references from a period of time when I existed on this world, I become more and more motivated to create my own podcast - or at least find one that's more up my alley!

Unfortunately, I have neither money nor know-how when it comes to such technological things. I'd like to do a show where each week I have an in-depth discussion with one of my friends or acquaintances, but I've got to do a little more research and get it figured out. I bet I could do a pilot epi with Michaela, she's got an iPhone...

But I digress. If anyone knows of a similar podcast out there already, please let me know, but otherwise I can't wait to start talking and opining about topics that have a little more cultural relevance to me and the people I know. Don't hate on young folks...they might just go make their own, better and more awesome club that you can't join.

Things I am excited for this week: Glee does Rocky Horror! It looks flippin' sweet; here's hoping it lives up to the hype.

Image via Shii.org

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I know exactly what you mean. When Barrie comes on, she gets the same reactions. I really really wish you and I had a podcast - we would rock that shit. I love the Regrettable Television Pop Quiz, though. That's my favorite. Glen is my favorite PCHHer. You are my favorite blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you should TOTES have your own podcast (a duo of you and Kate would be all kinds of awesome)... I'd be an avid listener. Considering I check this blog daily for updates that's not super surprising. Also, in total agreement about the PCHH young people reactions - although I didn't really think about it much until you brought it up. Ditto to Kate's statement - you are too my favorite blogger. Pats on the back for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you guys are the best! We seriously need to figure out how to do a long-distance podcast - possibly by recording a Skype conversation? I dunno, but I'm gonna make it happen...just because we don't live in the same place doesn't mean we can't podcast! This is the digital age, and I'm gonna pwn it.

    Yeah, Glen Welden is awesome. I just like saying his name.

    ReplyDelete