subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Saturday, October 16, 2010

"I'm mad at you. You're still so hot."

Guys, I'm really sorry that it's been so long since my last post. But a long weekend at my parent's house and a necessity to spend the following mornings unpacking and rearranging my room ate up my time. Plus, I've still got to watch all the TV that I love to write about on here and man, that takes some serious dedication. So, for this post we're going to do it bullet-style so I can get out all the random thoughts I've been having - and then get back to watching Community commentary because I'm hoping to have my in-depth Community posts done by Halloween (there is commentary on every episode! Seriously, if you're thinking about a DVD to buy, Community is definitely the most awesome for your buck.). Okay, let's start the show.

- Glee is back - for realsies! After three poorly organized episodes with some very weak (or just plain obnoxious) song choices, they finally brought it this week in "Duets". OMG I love Brittany and Santana and their queerness. I love Kurt and his awesome "Faith Hill" voice rocking the cock out of "Le Jazz Hot". The songs this week were (mostly) perfection - I am already over Sam's aww-shucks Jack Johnson/Mrazziness, but other than that...I actually downloaded some new songs yesterday. I really, really wanted to hear Artie and Brittany sing together, but I also like how they developed their storyline because it made perfect sense for both of their characters. Glee has a problem with consistency of motive and emotion - it can be kind of like Gossip Girl in that regard. But thankfully in "Duets" the writers snapped out of it, realized that no one, on the show or IRL, wants to watch Rachel Berry belt a self-involved ballad at the end of every fucking episode (and OMG, how amazing was that Kurt/Rachel/Judy/Barbra number? Blew my gay little mind.). Taking the focus off of Rachel and Finn a little and making the show more of a true ensemble is a step in the right direction and I hope the writers continue this way. But, let's be honest, they probably won't.


- 30 Rock Live! was good, but not as good as I expected. Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, Rachael Dratch, and Jon Hamm were all a treat, but really, when are they not? The humor mostly came from the differences and limitations of a live show, but I thought the performances, especially from Jack Brayer, Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, and Tracy Morgan were either painfully exaggerated or nervously wooden. Oh, and Tracy kept looking directly at the camera. All in all it was a fun experiment, but I feel like the weirdness and irreverence of 30 Rock is best presented in a format that allows for greater creativity and doesn't have to pause for laughs (it seriously messed up the characters' established speech patterns and natural timing). Nice try, good effort...but don't do it again.

- Speaking of Community, this week's episode, "Basic Rocket Science", was so good that I even laughed at the product integration jokes (ahhh, now I've got to write a post about product integration. *sigh* I'll put it on my list.). I loved Abed as Gary Sinise - and the City College dean! It's like White Abed/Brown Joey. I won't ruin any more for you but if I have one pick for a Do-Not-Miss show this fall season, it's definitely Community.

- Man, I was so excited for The Office this week..."All of Michael Scott's girlfriends return!" the preview promised me. But, except for the end which hinted of more promise for a Michael/Holly reunion, it was one big cold sore joke. For an episode called "Sex Ed" there sure was a lot of misinformation flying around. I've written about this before (HERE), but I've gotten cold sores ever since I can remember - they do not have to be sexually transmitted and, if you know how to deal with it, killing the cold sore and avoiding the spread of contagion is quite simple. And BTW, people who have never had one always make them into a much bigger deal than they are. It disappoints me that The Office felt it had to continue and exacerbate the cold sore stigma that's been perpetuated since This Is Spinal Tap.

- Project Runway. Is weird. Black, black, and more black...you know when they say, "Take risks!" it means you should use colors - colors that you wouldn't find in a baby's diaper. Or maroon. Speaking of stigma, let's take some off of color - it's weird to me that wearing bright colors is considered risky. You know what else is risky? Depression. Oh, also, Gretchen sucks. She has no vision and is not a good designer. They can talk shit on Michael all they want, but at least he makes clothes that other people want to wear. Also, I could just, like, not watch next week's episode...obviously Mondo is going to win, as he should. But - fffwwp! - there went all the suspense.


Ok, I really am going to keep up better with posting, but I like this little weekly rundown so I don't have to do a separate post for each show. I'll probably start doing something similar every Friday or Saturday, but we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, happy watching and come back soon for more GGG awesomeness!



No comments:

Post a Comment