subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Give me some chocolate or I will cut you."


Okay, so maybe my post about the dearth of Halloween episodes was premature.

Last night's episodes of Glee and Raising Hope were pretty awesome & thematically appropriate. Raising Hope is seriously getting better and better - Cloris Leachman is a fucking genius, and I love Jimmy's friends, especially Javier ("Baby food? What a waste. This is delicioso - it's like meat pudding"). The show manages to be fucked-up and heartwarming all at once, much like scaring your child so he'll hug you.



The Rocky Horror Glee Show was lots of fun - it really made me think back to my own high school days discovering the movie (although I think I watched it first when I was about 12...) and the first time I went to a live showing, with my sister at UC Berkeley, to a Halloween double-header of Rocky and Hedwig. You can see where she drew a V on my chest, but I rubbed it off 'cause I didn't want to be hassled.

I really loved where Glee took the male-objectification story line, as it gave some nuance to the themes of Rocky Horror, and Mercedes as Frankenfurter was perfection. I felt like the characters' actions made sense this episode...they have a tendency not to. I loved the song performances - go Uncle Jesse! - and although Emma's rendition of "Touch-a Touch Me" was a little weak, what it lacked in tone it made up for in abs. The only part of Matthew Morrison worth oogling, IMO. But really I loved Sue and all things Sue-related:


"We've lost the true meaning of Halloween: fear. Halloween is that magical day of the year when a child is told their grandmother's a demon who's been feeding them rat casserole with a crunchy garnish of their own scabs. Children must know fear - without it, they won't know how to behave. They'll try frenching grizzly bears or consider living in Florida."
Also, I think it's brilliant that they've managed to have a mentally challenged character on the show who is hilarious, but whose hilariousness has nothing to do with laughing at or exploiting her disability - nor is it ignored. Becky has become one of my favorite characters, and seriously, that "chocolate" line is my new go-to Halloween demand. Overall - it left me satisfied and smiling (Bazinga! If you know what I'm referencing).

Speaking of, I'm super excited for The Office's "Costume Contest" this week, and in honor of my least favorite holiday I'm going to go back and take look at some of my most favorite Halloween episodes, maybe talk a little about what separates the wheat from the chaff, or the giant pink Chandler bunny and Sputnik doody from the super-lame 20's themed Gossip Fail.

"So what are you going to be for Halloween this year?"
"I'm going as a peanut allergy."

Images via Chron.com, me




No comments:

Post a Comment