subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Thursday, October 28, 2010

This Is One Fucked-Up Mundo We Live In, Mondo

I was going to write a post about the BEYOND INFURIATING Project Runway finale outcome, but in all honesty, I haven't actually watched it. I had an inkling that Mondo might not win, and I didn't feel like ruining a perfectly good night by yelling at my screen.

Turns out my instincts are right. I know that editing was supposed to make it easy to hate Gretchen, but I can hate everything about her all on my own. I hate her when she's being nice. I hate her when she's being an asshole. I despise her fucking it's-cool-because-it's-ugly haircut. I think her clothes belong in a garbage bag that is dipped in shit and then set on fire.

It makes me legitimately sad that she won with her sad, barfy, psuedocoolugly clothes.

The comments section over at TLo is ablaze, but this one, from an anonymous commenter, is the best at saying what I feel:



Dear Lifetime,


Making your show's fans angry does NOT equal more ratings. It equals ANGRY. FANS.


Yeah, I think I'm done with this show.
I'll continue to read your PR posts, TLo. But I don't think I'm going to continue watching the actual show. I don't want to support a show that is so obviously constructed by the producers just to get a reaction out of the fans.


I honestly thought I'd continue to watch the show until it ends (or until Tim Gunn leaves/gets fired) but I'm not going to watch a show that just makes me mad. And I'm sure that many other PR fans agree with me. I, along with most people, started watching this show for the fashion. NOT for the drama.
Yeah. That's right. Did you hear that, producers? Lifetime? Klum?
Sometimes people watch television for something other than drama.
Like, y'know, something of a little substance, perhaps. But it's okay. I know that that's waaaay too much to ask for.
Particularly from a place like Lifetime: the channel for beating women.
Alright, alright, that was uncalled for. But can you blame me? I'm bitter.


I wash my hands of you, PR. You and all of your hard drugs.

I think we can all agree that this is a travesty of much worse proportions even then the season in LA (who won that season again?). This proves that the producers, not the judges, are running the show, and talent will be overlooked in favor of shit-stirring and horribleness. Yes, it was Nina and Michael's decision, but I seriously doubt that Gretchen would have made it to the finals without some serious producer influence because her clothes are like an emetic but her drama brought the ratings. However, I have this parable to share:

When my sister was in high school, she had this history teacher who was not only dumb, he was lazy. He gave my sister and her classmates the same grade on every paper, regardless of quality, that he had given on the first paper of the year. She and her friends decided to test him, and they turned in three copies of the same paper, in different fonts, with the upper left and bottom right corners stapled, so it would be obvious if the paper were opened and read. They were returned, staples intact, with three different grades.

This is what the judges did to Gretchen. They decided at the beginning that she was an A student, and because of that decided that they didn't need to read any more of her papers. They ignored poop-colored outfit after poop-colored outfit until finally she was in the finals and Michael and Nina decided that Mondo was simply too joyful and they might as well give it to their long-time favorite. What a long, twisted, fucked-up path to get to a terribly depressing ending.

Seriously - I want to know what Tim thinks. I really, really want to know what Tim honestly thinks.

Oh, Project Runway. Why'd you have to make it so easy for me to quit you?

2 comments:

  1. Two comments:
    1. The decision was bullshit and Mondo should have won. You should at least watch the part of the episode where they are deliberating; Heidi and Jessica Simpson were Team Mondo and Nina and Michael were Team Gretchen. It was nice to hear Heidi fighting like hell for Mondo. I definitely believe that Lifetime has a say everywhere, but I also believe that the judges decided she won after the first two challenges. Why else would they have kept her around so long after she did baby poop outfit after baby poop outfit. It just pisses me off that Mondo was constantly praised for his clothes by the judges and then they picked Gretchen instead. The only hope I have is most of the winners don't do anything (except christian siriano).
    2. Gretchen's clothes look like things you can already buy at Chico's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you're totally right - it was the producers, but it was also Nina and Michael desperately trying to find some way to give the prize to someone they decided months ago deserved it. However, I'm sure Gretchen would never have made it so far if she wasn't such a self-righteous drama queen that the producers wanted to keep around.

    If you go back and look at all of Gretchen's clothes from the competition, the first three are awesome. Then she started making clothes for herself and it all fell to shit, but the judges had already decided what kind of designer she was. I've been angry about the judging for a few seasons now, but this complete failure to recognize the clear winner makes me think I just can't watch PR anymore. I don't watch TV to feel angry, y'know?

    And Chico's - YES.

    ReplyDelete