subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ABC Fall Lineup - *sad trombone*

Wherein I get lost without Lost.

ABC is such a hit-or-miss network. Lost, Castle, The Unusuals, and Pushing Daisies? Very yes. Anything else that ABC's done for the past 8 years? Very meh. They try so hard to be family-oriented that the comedy (and writing) suffers because it ends up being about the same shit over and over. Anyway, besides Mr. Sunshine (which doesn't premiere until later in the season) I'm not super excited for any of these shows, but I'll check them out because, well, that's what we do here.


Better With You
This is a show about relationships - much like, it seems, CBS's Rules of Engagement. Debra Jo Rupp is always a bright spot, but this show just seems so heteronormative and staid that I just can't get behind it. Also, that guy with the long face who plays Ben is so weird-looking that I find it distracting. However, the grammar joke is great, so I'll give them that.



Body Of Proof
Crime procedural centering around a medical examiner's office - looks kind of like Crossing Jordan, but worse. Stars many recognizable actors, almost none of whom I like or think are particularly talented, the exception being Geoffrey Arend, Christina Hendricks' husband and a brilliant comedian. What he's doing stuck on this show is anybody's guess, but I wish he would go back to being funny. No preview for this one, I really, really don't like Dana Delany or Jeri Ryan and don't feel like looking at their faces right now.


Detroit 1-8-7
ABC describes this as "a gritty portrayal of the men and women bringing justice to one of our most dangerous cities." It stars Michael Imperioli and, just like everything else from this network so far, doesn't look like anything new, original, or interesting. It premieres tonight if you want to check it out, but again, there's really no need for you to watch the preview. There's only so many crime dramas a girl can watch, and I think I reached my limit three Law & Orders and two CSIs ago. It makes sense, now that I think about it, that ABC is trying to cash in on the craze, but I think they're a little late to the game and aren't going to be able to keep up with the franchises that NBC and CBS have developed.


My Generation
Now, this is a show that looks like it could be interesting. Not yet sure if it's anything too special (and technically, it's more of my sister's generation, as I was in high school until 2003) but it's got some good actors and a fresh style. Has there been a documentary-style drama like this before? I can't think of one, and I think it could be used to explore some very real places and characters. The preview, at least, looks good - this will probably be a show that I watch next summer during the doldrums.



No Ordinary Family
Heroes meets The Incredibles. This is yet another show about a white suburban family - except this one gets super-powers from the mystical South American jungle. Not even Michael Chiklis or Romany Malco (in the Frozone role) can make me want to watch this show.


The Whole Truth
Now, this show I'm actually pretty excited for. It stars two of my favorite actors, Rob Morrow (Northern Exposure, Numb3rs) and Maura Tierny (NewsRadio, ER) as competing lawyers. Now, my least favorite part of Law & Order is generally the courtroom stuff. I prefer the detective work and solving the crime and the bullshit legal issues sometimes irritate/bore me; however, this show seems to take a fresh look at the whole thing. Full disclosure compels me to tell you that I will watch Rob Morrow in anything, but I'm really hoping that The Whole Truth turns out to be as interesting as it looks.



Hurrah, that's all done! In terms of off-network shows, I'll be taking a look at them individually as they come along - I haven't even had a chance to watch Boardwalk Empire yet with all the premieres yesterday (and I still have to write about House and Castle and The Event...). So be patient and stay tuned and all your witty discourse needs will soon be met. Glee and Running Wilde tonight on Fox!

No comments:

Post a Comment