subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Sunday, September 19, 2010

NBC Fall Lineup Smackdown!

Wherein I weep for the future of network television.

Seriously, I don't really get it. You would think that with cable networks producing some of the best TV since forever (Mad Men, Damages, Huge...and even shows that I don't watch, like Breaking Bad and Sons Of Anarchy, or haven't gotten around to watching, like Rubicon), that the networks would have to step it up. Well, it appears that some of them have and some simply haven't. NBC cancelled Law & Order, yet now we have Law & Order: LA, which appears to be like, three other crime shows rolled into one. I'm not going to review it; you know it exists and I think that's all you need to know. In fact, none of these are meant to be summaries - you can watch the preview for that - they're simply a guide to what looks good and what looks...less than good. Anyway, here's a rundown of the scripted shows that NBC has premiering this fall, ranked in order from godawful to possibly awesome.

Outsourced
Is about a guy who has to go to India to run a call center for an American novelty toy company. Do I really need to say anything else? Unfunny and culturally offensive - not to mention outdated (as call center jobs are currently returning to the US in droves)...all of these sound like great show descriptors, don't they? I refuse to post a preview.


Chase
Crime procedural, except this time with U.S. Marshals - and Jesse Metcalfe (when he was on Passions and I was in high school, I had the hottest poster of him and his man boobs on my wall). It's set in Texas, and pretty much looks like if Kate Austen were the marshal instead of running from one. If that's your thing...well, enjoy.



Outlaw
I was going to write about how ridiculous and self-aggrandizing this show looks...but Linda Holmes did it for me! Go read her post, There is Absolutely No Reason Whatsoever To Watch Outlaw, and then you'll know what you're not missing. Here's the preview, in case you're into Jimmy Smits or Jesse Bradford.



The Undercovers
Looks like Mr. And Mrs. Smith for TV - and let's try to remember how bad that movie really was. Maybe I've just never really been into spies (I've never sat through an entire Bond or Bourne movie) but it seems to me that it's a played-out story designed solely to generate some ratings and then fizzle. NBC already has one mediocre spy show in Chuck; why they felt the need to make another one, well...it's probably J.J. Abrams' fault.



The Event
Which brings us to The Event, apparently the only new NBC show that I'll be watching. Now, I'll admit: the only reason for my initial interest in The Event was Blair Underwood (sex-ay!). But after reading some material and watching some previews, I'm intrigued with the subject matter as well. This show could be Lost meets The West Wing or it could be Flash Forward, and I guess I'll have to watch to find out. One thing's for sure: the cast is stellar and the acting looks great; Underwood, Zeljko Ivanek, Laura Innes and Jason Ritter are all amazing tried-and-true TV stars. It's nice to have at least one show to be excited about this season from a network that does (mostly) great with comedy but often falters when it comes to drama.


So...that's it! I'll be taking a look at the other three networks over the next week (sorry, CW, you don't count. Stop only making shows about teenagers, vampires, and teenage vampires and maybe I'll take you more seriously.) and, of course, posting updates on the premieres of all my favorites! So stay tuned! And maybe go watch some episodes of The Office if you still need to wash the taste of Outsourced out of your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment