subheader

an awesome way to watch TV

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"Surf, sun, and..." "Sandwiches?"


Alright, bitches. I've gotten way behind and there are some shows about which I don't have much to say, so we're gonna knock a few out of the way right now.

The Big Bang Theory

You know, everyone talks about how smart this show is, but just because they make references to science and Star Trek doesn't really make it smart. In reality it's just a basic, formulaic CBS-style sitcom with jokes written to appeal to nerds. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't like the show; I do. The problem is I only really like one part of the show and that is Sheldon Cooper. He's so strange and Asbergers-y and "Bazinga" is a catch phrase that cracks me up like no other catch phrase because Jim Parsons' timing and delivery are incredible. Last week I was talking about how Geoffrey Arend's talents were being wasted on Body Of Proof; and here we've got another Garden State scene-stealer who just won an Emmy (which I actually think he deserved!) for being funny. Parsons really is great on The Big Bang Theory; I just wish that everyone else on the show was as good.

The problem is that the rest of the cast are either abhorrent, obnoxious, pathetic, or just a sad clump of stereotypes smooshed together into a person-shape. I can't stand Howard Wolowitz (See: The Emily Valentine Problem), which is sad, because I loved Simon Helberg in Studio 60 and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. So, you know, I'll watch the show but it's probably never going to be one of my favorites - the premiere was alright, but compared with all the other comedy I watched last week, it was near the bottom of the list. In fact, all you really ever need to see is right here.

PS: CBS changed their schedule and are trying to use TBBT to kill Community. This shall not stand!



30 Rock

"No, Tom Jones, No!" I don't really have to say much here. 30 Rock is back, it's awesome and hilarious like always. The relationship between Liz and Jack is so unique and pretty much unprecedented on TV, and it allows the writers and actors to go to some of the wackiest and most entertaining places. "The Fabian Strategy" is a great episode - and I love, love, love Matt Damon as Carol, Liz's pilot boyfriend. I really hope he stays around for awhile because the "I'm a sad, single lady with an enormous appetite" jokes are probably the least authentic part of the show, and that's saying something. Anyway, stay tuned. If you like laughing and irreverence, 30 Rock is the place to be.



Modern Family

Started off strong, right out of the gate. Manny is still absolutely unbearable, but ignoring that, the rest of it pleasantly surprised me. Great physical comedy and anytime that Mitchell, Cam, and Jay are together things are gon' get zoppity. Even Phil made me laugh in this episode ("Come on back, Phil"). So, I'm feeling good about Modern Family; maybe winning the Emmy will be a push for them to kick it up a notch and stop playing it safe when they should be taking risks. "Don't apologize - I love you when you're human." Looking forward finding out what this season has in store - I'm really hoping it's less Manny.



You know, for each of these shows I was going to just post a clip, but then realized that without the rest of the episode, it doesn't resonate as well. Although these are, for me, second-tier comedies, it doesn't mean they're not funny or worth watching. So go forth, view, and enjoy! But if you watch The Big Bang Theory instead of Community, I might have to cut you. Fair warning...

1 comment: